Photo

Ryko, Man-Eater Bug & Snowman Eater - Ruling Reversal

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nomad

Nomad

Next to be inspired

• » Ex-Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,647 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2010 9:26 AM
To: us-ygorules
Subject: Destroyed by Battle

Can a monster deemed destroyed by battle be targeted by a destruction/send (to the graveyard/rfg) effect? a return to hand/deck effect?

The targeting would happen sometime between the "After Damage Calculation" sub-step and the "End of the Damage Step" sub-step of the "Damage Step."

RE: Destroyed by Battle‏
Sent: Tue 6/22/10 8:32 PM
To: IllusionX

For example, if a face-down Penguin Soldier is attacked, flipped up, and destroyed as a result of battle, it cannot be targeted by an effect that would return it to the hand or Deck. You could target it with an effect that would destroy it or send it to the Graveyard though.

So while this isn't a "huge" change overall, some of you may remember the old ruling that we used to have, stating that Man-Eater Bug & friends couldn't target themselves when they were flipped face-up & determined to be destroyed by battle, regardless of what their targeting effect aimed to do.

This didn't make a lot of sense to me (it actually cause a lot of confusion on my end), what with the fact that you can chain an effect like Dust Tornado (that aims to destroy, send or remove), to a previously activated card that slates itself for destruction, just not something like Phoenix Wind Wing Blast that aims to "return" that card somewhere. Again, while this isn't a "huge" change, I can think of a few situations right away that could play out differently because of it, so keep reading if you're interested.

For example, if the Turn Player controls no monsters except an Obelisk/Aurkus (something that cannot be targeted by the flipped monster's effect), and it attacks a face-down Man-Eater Bug or Snowman Eater (lets ignore the fact that 1900 def might help it survive), the controller of the flipped & destroyed monster would now be able to target that Man-Eater Bug or Snowman Eater, instead of being forced to target one of their other face-up monsters like the old bkss ruling indicated.

Also, if the attacking monster was something like a Goyo Guardian, Hydrogeddon or Firedog (that needed to destroy the other monster by battle & see it hit the Graveyard that way), and the player controlling the flipped Ryko, Man-Eater Bug or Snowman Eater didn't want to (or due to other effects & conditions wasn't able to) target the attacking monster that it had just battled with, they would now be able to target the Ryko, Man-Eater Bug or Snowman Eater, thus not allowing the Goyo Guardian, Hydrogeddon or Firedog's effect to activate at the End of the Damage Step because the monster would be destroyed by an effect at an earlier time (rather than actually sent to the Graveyard by battle).

Posted Image

work by Johnny :)

Trade List / Refs

- Twitter - Midnight TCG - Youtube -

Don't hate on the bitches.

#2 Sheik_the_Geek

Sheik_the_Geek

*Viewtiful Sexy*

• Members
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

Shura is the same as Firedog, right?

That changes a few plays I could make form now on.
Resident Hater of GBs

Posted Image
Kenny Omega vs Haruko

"I would rather listen to a recording of J.R. than a live Michael Cole." - Edge

1st: Hidden Arsenal 3 Box Opening
2nd: SpellBreaking your Bawlz
3rd: Pure Fables

#3 DGF169

DGF169

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

the only one who really has a one up on them is Fulhelmknight, due to his effect of destroying a monster, and not destroy and sent to the graveyard.

#4 Amber R

Amber R

Mysterons

• Members
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Great news, Val. It is good to know :).

#5 Nomad

Nomad

Next to be inspired

• » Ex-Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,647 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:02 PM

Shura is the same as Firedog, right?

That changes a few plays I could make form now on.

Yup, he works the same as Firedog because he mentions needing to send the destroyed monster somewhere in specific (in their case the Graveyard), rather than simply needing to destroy it by battle (the way Blue Thunder T-45 does).

the only one who really has a one up on them is Fulhelmknight, due to his effect of destroying a monster, and not destroy and sent to the graveyard.

Well, there's also Blue Thunder T-45 (the main precedent for this), Lord British, Falshion B, and a couple of others that escape me at the moment.

Great news, Val. It is good to know :).

Thanks for the props, yo.

Posted Image

work by Johnny :)

Trade List / Refs

- Twitter - Midnight TCG - Youtube -

Don't hate on the bitches.

#6 HaouJudai

HaouJudai

G - League : Garner, NC

• Members
  • 666 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

This also affects Fortune Lady Dark.
We are all selfish and selfless, Everyone is an Evil Hero

Japan is hurting - See how you can help - http://news.yahoo.co...ami-how-to-help

http://d.yimg.com/a/...PoflH32EaqD6w--

http://d.yimg.com/a/...EGnSCjhLTB7Aw--