Photo

Sylvan - Decktype Discussion

g1Nz0 YCS WCQ ARG Circuit Series Yugioh Evilswarm Constellar Noble Knight Harpie Lightsworn

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts
  • DN:g1Nz0
  • DevPro:g1Nz0

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

• "Sylvan (Shinra)" is an archetype of Plant-Type monsters that will debut in Legacy of the Valiant. Their basic playing style involves revealing other "Sylvan" monsters from the Deck and sending them to the Graveyard, in turn activating their effects, ranging from card destruction to monster revival. So far, the "Sylvan" monsters between Levels 1, 2, and 3 generate field advantage when sent from your Deck to the Graveyard, while the Level 4 and higher monsters rearrange the top of your Deck for more efficient use. Their effects also let you, if no Plant-Type monsters were revealed, send potentially dead draws to the bottom of the Deck, thus allowing good draw advantage. This mechanic has a very "MTG Stasis/Slide" feel to it, and makes you wonder how relevant it can/will be in regards to Yu-Gi-Oh; a game with an inherently faster, and unforgiving pace. This archetype will be the first to introduce the new mechanic called Excavate. You will become quite familiar with the Excavate mechanic once you delve into this discussion.

Let's Begin:

MONSTERS

Spoiler

SUPPORT MONSTERS

Spoiler

SPELLS

Spoiler

TRAPS

Spoiler

EXTRA DECK

Spoiler

DECKS

Spoiler

#2 Fresh

Fresh

Advanced Member

• Yu-Gi-Oh! Moderator
  • 16,511 posts
  • DN:Williamsftd

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:44 AM

I didn't know they got a field spell. It actually does something for the deck. You can pitch your guys to set off Knightcissus while setting up your grave for Crane Crane and Debris. I only really like the Level 2 guy but I don't like how slow the deck looks. Magical Merchant or Ryko and/or Lyla might fit the bill for an engine that can speed the deck up

#3 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:05 AM

I didn't know they got a field spell. It actually does something for the deck. You can pitch your guys to set off Knightcissus while setting up your grave for Crane Crane and Debris. I only really like the Level 2 guy but I don't like how slow the deck looks. Magical Merchant or Ryko and/or Lyla might fit the bill for an engine that can speed the deck up

Yeah, Kyouou mentioned Magical Merchant to me and I was surprised by that. If you get any ideas on a deck list, P.M. it to me, even if it is just a skeleton style list. Need ideas.

ViciousHearts-NobleDead-20-Hootie_zps485

#4 Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:16 PM

Archfiend's Oath may be fun to tinker with here.
Let them eat their damn cake.

#5 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:21 PM

Archfiend's Oath may be fun to tinker with here.

Ha, yeah I have already been a part of a Convulsion of Nature/Archfiend's Oath chitter chat.

#6 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:01 PM

Keep the posts on topic.

#7 ♡ yiffy ♡

♡ yiffy ♡

Queen of Autumn Leaves ☆

• Global Moderators
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:32 PM

ok

(the stars will shine above all of) the streets

#8 Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:29 PM

Also remember this old school playa?

300px-MagicalMerchantCP05-EN-SR.png

His effect doesn't say so, but I'd err on the optimistic side and say that he does reveal and trigger the Shinras. You can thank the non-existent honor system in this game.

Also my favorite little bastard to a lesser extent:

300px-MorphingJar2-LCYW-EN-SR-1E.png

Nothing quite says grape you like this guy does when he's grinning at your opponent.

Let them eat their damn cake.

#9 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

From what I am hearing about Magical Merchant at this moment that picking up sort of equals revealing. If that is the case, Merchant should be good in this archetype. But the fact that Merchant's text doesn't say the word reveal in it, I am a bit cautious.

#10 Fresh

Fresh

Advanced Member

• Yu-Gi-Oh! Moderator
  • 16,511 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:14 PM

That's why I didn't consider it. I still don't how these guys are suppose to win but it seems like you just want to dump the big guys until you get Fertilizer and/or Call. This is what I got so far

wCkci5J.png

#11 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:12 PM

Hopefully over the holiday break I will have more time to sit down and just think over some of this stuff and add a little focus to this discussion and how I want the deck to function.

#12 Fresh

Fresh

Advanced Member

• Yu-Gi-Oh! Moderator
  • 16,511 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:20 PM

Hopefully over the holiday break I will have more time to sit down and just think over some of this stuff and add a little focus to this discussion and how I want the deck to function.

Yeah I want to work on the deck once I find how to actually win with it. I'm starting to like the mechanic a lot more and I love that we're actually got a Plant archetype with potential.

#13 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:41 PM

Yeah I want to work on the deck once I find how to actually win with it. I'm starting to like the mechanic a lot more and I love that we're actually got a Plant archetype with potential.

I've always like the mechanic, it's just been that Helping Robo was the only real monster that focused on it and we all know how much that card never did, lol.

#14 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

Here is a list I found. While I'm not keen on some of the card choices, it's at least a starting point which seems to have some form of focus. But the more I think of it, the harder it is for me to understand not adding Reasoning.

#15 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Added my beta list to the OP.

#16 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:58 AM

Plants get another “Princess” monster, Chirubimé, Princess of Autumn Leaves. But the big boost for Plants comes from the New “Sylvan” monster theme. Sylvans will also pioneer a new game term: Excavate. You’ll start seeing “excavate” used on cards beginning with War of the Giants: Round 2, but this new mechanic really takes off with the Sylvan monsters in Legacy of the Valiant.

This set will be getting a Deluxe Edition, probably in early March, which will include booster packs, 2 foil versions of cards from Legacy of the Valiant, and previews of upcoming cards from the booster set after that. Plus new storage boxes featuring two popular deck themes from the last few years!

#17 Tobeinspired

Tobeinspired

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:58 AM

Here is my attempt at this. Take in mind, this is the first attempt. I net decked some techs. I will test much later. Also I need an extra which I have none listed.

1546aIY.png

Skeleton.

sdloRG8.png

Edited by kuwaalbaara, 28 November 2013 - 04:55 AM.

You have a long ways to go,
Whatever you do don’t twitch those toes,
Not to dismiss memory for ever more,
Moving feet like that which is not set in stone,
Gracefully people walk transiently
A long love goes into it,
Eternity we end up fighting mortality,
Frailty of thought is a cumbersome thing,
If one travels without memory.

#18 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:24 AM

OK. So I have been enjoying this deck for the last few hours. Peaskeeper is just about terrible, but I keep it as a one of. I don't use Reasoning or Magical Merchant. I just never got around to testing Reasoning, but never wanted it. As for Merchant, it wasn't outright bad, but I would be stuck with like two in hand and was wishing they were Veilers so I made that switch. Oark is garbage, but you probably didn't need anyone to tell you that. Knight, Leaf and Stool are all good cards that put in work once you have the field spell or one of them to start revealing. If you get the Field Spell early and it survives, the deck gets moving on the quick. Spiritree is much better than I imagined. Of course you have to get him on the field. The Xyz isn't that bad either. Call of the Haunted is a must at three. Miracle Fertilizer is a must at three. And Mark of the Rose is performing better than I would have imagined as well. Since I have been playing on DevPro I don't have a screen shot handy, but I will try to get one to you guys a little later.

#19 Tobeinspired

Tobeinspired

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:54 AM

Actually scratch that for the moment. I'll wait to see what others post before mine.

Edited by kuwaalbaara, 28 November 2013 - 05:03 AM.

You have a long ways to go,
Whatever you do don’t twitch those toes,
Not to dismiss memory for ever more,
Moving feet like that which is not set in stone,
Gracefully people walk transiently
A long love goes into it,
Eternity we end up fighting mortality,
Frailty of thought is a cumbersome thing,
If one travels without memory.

#20 g1Nz0

g1Nz0

Misanthropy Pure

• Administrators
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:26 PM

Got most of the top half of the discussion completed for those of you who are interested in getting more info on the deck. I also added my latest build to the OP in the deck section. It may change more after tonight, but I'll get back with more and I will try to have the rest of the discussion completed sometime in the next several hours if I get a second.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: g1Nz0, YCS, WCQ, ARG Circuit Series, Yugioh, Evilswarm, Constellar, Noble Knight, Harpie, Lightsworn

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)